Study of the United States Institutes (SUSI) for Scholars is an intensive post-graduate level academic program with integrated study tours whose purpose is to provide foreign scholars and university faculty the opportunity to deepen their understanding of U.S. society, culture, values, and institutions. The ultimate goal of the Institutes is to strengthen curricula and to enhance the quality of teaching about the United States in universities and other academic institutions abroad.
The six-week 2022 program for scholars and university instructors will take place in the United States in or after June 2022, contingent upon health, safety, and travel conditions. Exact dates will be determined at a later time.
Each of the six programs will focus on a different topic, as follows:
- American Culture and Values
- Journalism and Media
- Religious Pluralism in the United States
- U.S. Economics and Business
- U.S. Foreign Policy
- Workforce Development
The following criteria apply:
- Candidates should be mid-career, motivated and experienced professionals from institutions of higher education.
- Candidates should have little or no prior experience in the United States.
- Priority will be given to candidates who have firm plans to enhance, update or develop courses or educational materials with a U.S. studies focus or component, develop new courses in the subject of the visited institute, enhance and update existing courses on the United States, or offer specialized seminars for professionals in US studies areas related to the program theme.
- Candidates should be mid-career, typically between the ages of 30–50.
Each candidate should provide a short personal statement (one page) indicating why he or she is interested in participating in the program and what he or she expects to get out of the program.
Candidates should demonstrate English language fluency. They must be able to handle substantial reading assignments in English, and to fully and actively participate in all seminar and panel discussions.
Priority will be given to candidates who have special interest in the program subject areas as demonstrated through past scholarship, accomplishments and professional duties.
The program covers all costs – travel, living expenses, books, incidentals and medical insurance.
Applications can be downloaded here: MS Word version, you can fill in and print (DOC 42 KB) or in Adobe PDF format (PDF 55 KB); Full descriptions of Institutes can be downloaded here (PDF 89 KB). Applications can be submitted by email or in person. For additional information please email: AshgabatEducation@state.gov.
Deadline for applications is January 4, 2022.