The Study of the United States Institute (SUSI) for Secondary Educators is an intensive academic program with an integrated study tour whose purpose is to provide foreign secondary school educators and administrators the opportunity to deepen their understanding of U.S. society, culture, values, and institutions. The ultimate goal of the program is to strengthen curricula and to enhance the quality of teaching about the United States in secondary schools and other academic institutions.
The five-week program for teachers and administrators will take place in the United States starting in or after June 2023, contingent upon health, safety, and travel conditions. Exact dates will be determined at a later time.
* Administrators include teacher trainers, curriculum developers, textbook writers, and Ministry of Education officials.
The following criteria apply:
- Candidates should have at least five years of work experience
- Candidates should be motivated and experienced teachers or administrators from secondary schools OR language learning centers.
- Candidates should have little or no prior experience in the United States.
- Priority will be given to candidates who have firm plans to update or develop courses or educational materials with U.S. studies focus or component, develop new courses in the subject of the visited institute, enhance and update existing courses on the United States, or offer specialized seminars for professionals in US studies areas related to the program theme.
Each candidate should provide a short personal statement (one page) indicating why he or she is interested in participating in the program and what he or she expects to get out of the program.
Candidates should demonstrate English language fluency. They must be able to handle substantial reading assignments in English, and to fully and actively participate in all seminar and panel discussions.
Priority will be given to candidates who have special interest in the program subject areas as demonstrated through past scholarship, accomplishments and professional duties.
The program covers all costs, including travel, living expenses, books, incidentals and medical insurance.
Applications should be submitted to AshgabatEducation@state.gov by December 1, 2022.