Calling all girls interested in STEM, between the ages of 15-17 who are interested in joining the vibrant community of young leaders and changemakers! The TechGirls program is now accepting applications!
Apply to take part in an intensive summer program designed to encourage and empower young girls (ages 15-17) to pursue higher education and careers in STEM fields through hands-on skills development with American technology experts. This program is a 24-day long exchange that will take place in July-August 2024 in partnership with Virginia Tech University. You will engage in an interactive technology and computer camp, then travel to one other city (Austin, Chicago, Cincinnati, Denver, Detroit, or Seattle) for community and career exploration. Gain and apply new skills by immersing yourself in cutting-edge STEM fields including:
- Web Development,
- Civil and Environmental Engineering,
- Graphic Design,
- Data Science,
- Machine Learning,
- Molecular Modeling and Informatics,
- Electrical Engineering/Microprocessors, and
- Python Programming
After returning home, you will have an exciting opportunity to implement a project with 6 months of mentorship.
For more details on the three-week exchange, please visit the TechGirls program webpage: https://techgirlsglobal.org/
The program is fully funded by Department of State and will cover all program costs, including in-country domestic and international travel, visa expenses, pre-departure orientations, and all U.S.-based exchange activities.
To apply, you must:
- Be a female citizen of Turkmenistan living in Turkmenistan at the time of the exchange.
- Be between the ages of 15 and 17 at the start of the exchange on July 8, 2024 (otherwise born between July 6, 2007 and July 6, 2009)
- Have demonstrated serious interest in technology, science, engineering, and/or math in your academic studies
- Intend to pursue higher education and/or careers in STEM, especially technology
- Have advanced intermediate English skills
- Exhibit maturity, flexibility, and open-mindedness
- Be committed to completing a community-based project upon your return home.
Note: Preference will be given to those who have limited or no prior experience in the United States. You are not eligible if you have traveled to the United States in the last three years as part of any other U.S. Department of State/ECA exchange program.
The TechGirls program encourages people with diverse backgrounds and skills to apply, including individuals with disabilities.
Please note that family members of U.S. Embassy or Consulate staff or U.S. Department of State employees are not eligible to apply.
- October 17, 2023: TechGirls application opens
- December 8, 2023: TechGirls application closes
- February 2024: Semifinalists will be contacted via email
- Mid- or late February 2024: Interviews with semifinalists will be conducted
- March 2024: finalists and alternates will be notified
- July 2024: finalists depart for the United States
- August 1, 2024: finalists depart from the United States to Turkmenistan
Application Deadline and How to Apply
Applications, completed in English, must be submitted online by December 8, 2023. To submit your application, please follow this link: Sign In » Legacy International Online Application System (legacyintlleaders.org).
If you have any questions related to the program, please contact us at AshgabatEducation@state.gov with “TechGirls” in the subject line.