The U.S. Embassy performs notarial services for documents to be used in the United States and, in limited circumstances, certain documents to be used abroad.
Documents issued in the United States of America for use in Turkmenistan, such as powers of attorney, affidavits, birth, death and marriages records, must be “authenticated” or “legalized” by the Embassy of Turkmenistan in Washington D.C. before they can be recognized as valid in Turkmenistan. With very few exceptions, the U.S. Embassy in Ashgabat cannot notarize such documents. Prior to sending your documents to the Embassy of Turkmenistan in Washington D.C. please complete the following steps:
- Notarize your document at a U.S. public notary
- Send your notarized document for your state’s Authentication Authority for state apostille
- Send your document to be authenticated by the U.S. Department of State Authentications Office in Washington D.C.
- Send your authenticated document to be finally authenticated by the Embassy of Turkmenistan in Washington D.C. for use in Turkmenistan.
Schedule a notarial appointment
All notary services at the U.S. Embassy Ashgabat are by appointment only. Please schedule your appointment for notarial services through our electronic system:
List of documents you will need to bring for your notarial appointment:
- Passport (if Turkmenistan passport please bring internal and “zagran”)
- Original document to be notarized
- The fee is $50.00 per notary (in cash in U.S. Dollars)
On the day of your appointment, please make sure to:
- Appear in person and bring a valid government-issued photo ID (U.S. or foreign) with your signature (such as a passport, driver’s license or ID card).
- Ensure that your documents are organized in order. The Embassy cannot assemble your documents for you or provide legal advice on their preparation.
- Ensure that you understand the content of your documents, where you need to sign and which of your signatures need to be notarized, as our staff will not be able to explain these items to you.
- If you are unprepared for your appointment, you may be required to make a new appointment.
If you have questions, please email us at email@example.com.