Passport Services

We accept passport applications and forward them electronically to the United States for printing. Processing time averages two weeks but may be slightly higher in some cases, so we urge everyone to renew passports several months before the expiration date. All non-emergency passports are processed in the United States to incorporate a photo-digitized image and other enhanced security features.

The U.S. Embassy in Ashgabat can issue emergency passports within 24 hours. However, these emergency passports are limited in validity and cannot be extended. These limited passports have to be exchanged for full-validity passports at the completion of the emergency travel.