Important Note: Due to limited staffing, the Embassy will be unable to schedule routine nonimmigrant visa appointments from July 24 – August 18. Please plan accordingly and schedule your appointment as soon as possible if you would like to travel to the United States during that time period. If you have urgent travel during that time period, please follow the instructions for requesting an expedited appointment found on our website.
The U.S. Embassy Consular Section has resumed all visa services. Appointments are available through our electronic system. Please note that international travel to/from Turkmenistan continues to be limited and the Embassy cannot assist with arranging your travel. If you are unable to depart before the expiration of your visa, you will need to apply for a new visa including repaying any applicable fees.
Attention applicants from outside of Turkmenistan!
Appointments for non-resident applicants are scheduled by email. Non-resident applicants are required to provide a confirmation of their travel itinerary to Turkmenistan to schedule an appointment, including a copy of an approved travel document granting them entry into the country. Please note that it is extremely difficult to travel to Turkmenistan as a short-term visitor due to ongoing restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The purpose of your intended travel and other facts will determine what type of visa is required under U.S. immigration law. As a visa applicant, you will need to establish that you meet all requirements to receive the category of visa for which you are applying.
See our Directory of Visa Categories on usvisas.state.gov to determine which visa category might be appropriate for your purpose of travel to the United States.
What is a Visa?
A citizen of a foreign country who seeks to enter the United States generally must first obtain a U.S. visa, which is placed in the traveler’s passport, a travel document issued by the traveler’s country of citizenship.
Certain international travelers may be eligible to travel to the United States without a visa if they meet the requirements for visa-free travel. The Visa section of this website is all about U.S. visas for foreign citizens to travel to the United States.
(Note: U.S. citizens don’t need a U.S. visa for travel, but when planning travel abroad may need a visa issued by the embassy of the country they wish to visit.).
Online visa interview appointments are for citizens and residents of Turkmenistan only.
Schedule your visa interview appointment here: https://evisaforms.state.gov/default.asp?postcode=AKD&appcode=3.
If you have an urgent need to travel, you may request an expedited appointment.
Mailing address from the United States:
Department of State
7070 Ashgabat Place
9 1984 Street (formerly Pushkin Street)
Ashgabat, Turkmenistan 744000
Customer Service Statement
The Department of State manages the visa process strictly but fairly in order to best protect the United States. We are committed to the essential openness for which the United States has always been known. Travel to the United States is welcomed and encouraged.
We promise to you, the visa applicant, that:
- We will treat you with dignity and respect, even if we are unable to grant you a visa.
- We will treat you as an individual and your case as unique.
- We will remember that, to you, a visa interview may be a new or intimidating experience and that you may be nervous.
- We will use the limited time available for the interview to get as full a picture as possible of your travel plans and intentions.
- We will use our available resources to fairly assist all applicants to get appointments to allow travel in time for business, study, and other important obligations.
- We will post detailed and accurate information on visa requirements and application procedures on every Embassy and Consulate website.
- We will provide information on non-immigrant appointment waiting times at every Embassy and Consulate posted on https://travel.state.gov/content/travel.html.
- We will explain the reason for any visa denial to you.
Furthermore, if you are a:
- Student, we will make every effort to ensure that you get an appointment and, if qualified, a visa in time to start classes.
- Medical and humanitarian emergency traveler, we will expedite processing for those dealing with life threatening emergencies.
- Business traveler, we will establish appropriate mechanisms to facilitate business travel and expedite cases of particular concern to American business.
At the same time, we expect you, the visa applicant, to:
- Plan your travel and visa application as far in advance as possible.
- Complete your application fully and accurately.
- Be forthcoming about your purpose and plans.
- Prepare for your interview by being able to clearly and concisely describe your intentions.