You are entitled to apply for a special immigrant Returning Resident (SB-1) visa to return to the United States. You should not make any final travel arrangements until you actually receive an immigrant visa. There is no guarantee that a visa will be issued when you return to our office for document resubmission.
Step 1. Schedule your Immigrant Visa Interview
You need to schedule your SB-1 visa interview after you collect all necessary documents. Send an email message to: email@example.com to request your appointment.
Step 2. Make sure that you obtained all required documents listed below
You are responsible for ensuring that all documents listed below (copy and original) are available when you submit your documents at the U.S. Embassy Ashgabat. You must arrange the copies of your documents in order as listed below and separate all the original documents from the copies. After reviewing, we will return the original documents. All documents in a foreign language must have an attached certified English translation that includes a statement by the translator that the “Translation is accurate” and the “Translator is competent to translate.”
Documents Required for Immigrant Visa Interview in Ashgabat:
- Passport: An international passport and a copy of the biographical data page for each applicant. Passports should be valid for at least 6 months after the intended date of entry into the U.S.
- Immigrant Visa Application: Click here for information on how to fill out your online immigrant visa application forms.
- Birth Certificates: Original birth certificates, with copy and translation into English for all applicants.
- Marriage Certificates: Copy and original of your marriage certificate (if you are married). For those with prior marriages, bring your marriage certificate, a copy and translation into English and the original divorce certificate/death certificate of spouse, if applicable, with a copy and translation into English.
- Medical Exam Results: Your medical exam results in a sealed envelope.
- Police Certificates: Your Turkmenistan police certificate AND police certificates from all countries where you have lived for more than one year since the age of 16. Contact the Embassy in advance of your interview for assistance in obtaining your police certificate for Turkmenistan.
- Court and Prison Records: If you have ever been arrested or convicted of a crime, submit copies and originals of all relevant court and prison documents.
- Military Record: Copy and original (if applicable).
- Photos: 5 photos 5×5 cm, with white background (you will need three of these for the medical examination forms).
Step 4. Important Notices
Security screening procedures
All visitors to the U.S. Embassy Ashgabat must follow certain security procedures. Any visitor who declines to be screened by U.S. Embassy security personnel will be unable to enter the Embassy. You may not bring battery-operated or electronic devices, large bags or luggage, or food and liquid into the Embassy. To avoid delays for yourself and for those in line behind you, please bring only what is required for your interview.
Do not make travel plans outside of Turkmenistan
There is no assurance in advance that a visa will be issued. Occasionally, visas are not issued immediately due to administrative processing or because of ineligibilities. Therefore, you are advised not to make any travel arrangements for departure from Turkmenistan, dispose of your property, give up your job, or buy the airline ticket until you have received your visa. If your visa is approved, your passport with completed visa will be delivered at no additional cost.
Penalties for Misrepresentation
Please keep in mind that your signature on any visa application form is your guarantee that all information you provide is true and correct. You are personally and legally responsible, even if a travel agent or someone else prepares documents for you. Any fraudulent documents or misleading statements may result in your permanent ineligibility for any future visa.